FMP Research

Task 4

Produce detailed research specific to your chosen Final Major Project idea. This research must include:

·         Technical code analysis of relevant media products that have influenced your own Final Major Project idea

Analysis of any websites, books and journals that you have researched to help you form your Final Major Project idea 
___________________________________________________________________





Corpse Party gameplay


In this game the character art is shown during conversations between characters, like we plan to use in our game. Most of the conversations are short and to the point to convey the story/plot quickly. The anime style works perfectly for this game and it's general style overall, I like this style and I will probably use a similar one myself.

Shovel Knight gameplay

Shovel Knight uses bright, colourful backgrounds made of sprites. the game can be played at your own pace and makes the platforming feel unique. The most interest thing about this game is how the is used for pretty much everything, from fighting enemies to digging into dirt to get money. The shovel is also used to find secrets by hitting certain walls with it.
The way converations are done in this game is somewhat similar to the visual novel style, only instead of the full characer design being shown; the head of the character is in a box next to the speech box so you can see who is talking.

Mega Man X gameplay

Mega Man X is probably the best in the Mega Man series, it improves the mechanics of the previous games and adds new ones to make the experience feel frensh. The use of pixel art in this game is great, the colours contrast each other very well. The way coversations are done in this game is similar to the way it's done in Shovel Knight, which I also looked at, only these text boxes don't show the name of the character who's talking as the designers knew they didn't need to.


Comics Research

Deadpool

I've been looking at a few comics that I enjoy, Deadpool being one of my favourites. I have been looking at art styles mainly, as it could provide inspiration for how I design the characters for our game. The Deadpool comics have gone through many different styles, most revolving around realism. I particularly like the use of colour in these comics as they often use bright, contrasting colours that make specific characters and objects of improtance stand out more.





I've also been looking at manga and cartoon styles like the style of the Scott Pilgrim comics and the Zelda mangas or one more along the lines of Berzerk.

 Scott Pilgrim

Scott Pilgrim's art style is porbably my faviourite when it comes to toon styles. Each character looks different and unique and I like how the artist managed to employ more detailed panels into the toon style.

Zelda

The Zelda mangas have several different styles, I chose to look at this one as it employs the more generic style that's usually seen in manga and anime. Line art and shading are relatively simple with a medium amount of detail. I like this style because it combines the realism style with a ,sort of, toonish style. 
Berzerk
Berzerk is the most detailed comics in terms of art styles. Berzerk uses blit's grayscale art really well, everything is extremely detailed, you can see clearly what everything is. The line art, which this whole thing pretty much is, is great, the characters look as if they could actually be based on real people.